Thursday, August 29, 2013

swan lake.

Last night was my first trip to the ballet.

The Royal New Zealand Ballet was performing 'Swan Lake' by Tchaikovsky at the Regent in Palmy.

I picked up my mother-in-law Gaye and went to meet our friend Deanna for dinner. We ate at an Asian place across from the theater and got there early enough to get a good park.

After our lovely meal, we settled ourselves in our seats and waited for the production to begin. My sister-in-law Alicia was there with her boyfriend Ryan and she came over to say hello before it started.

My first thought when the music started was 'Dude...I forgot there is no talking.'
My second thought was 'Gold metallic tights should never be made in men's sizes'.

Back to the first thought...

Had I looked up Swan Lake in preparation for my night of culture?
No.

Did I have any prior knowledge relating to the story of Swan Lake?
Sadly, none.

I tried to google the summary by typing in 'Swan Lake Summary...for Children'. I assumed it would give me the easy version! haha!

Before I could read it, my phone died. There I was, abandoned by technology and having to figure out how to survive on my wits alone!

Not only did I not know what was supposed to happen, I had to pay really close attention to the actual story being played out. I would find myself staring blankly in amazement at all the feet moving at the same time. Consequently, I would lose chunks of the story plot completely.
Eventually, I got with it and understood where the story was taking us.

I was really involved in the storyline and it got to the part after Siegfried dances with Odile (oh you better bet I googled it later) and it is revealed that Odile (the black swan) is not actually Odette (the white swan). The Princess passes out and the Prince is absolutely distraught.

Close curtain.

I looked to Deanna and Gaye on my right and I said 'Is that it? That can't be it! That isn't the way the story is supposed to end!' [having no idea of course]

Deanna said she was pretty sure that was it and it was confirmed by several people were getting up to leave. We contemplated why so many others were staying in their seats and decided that it must be because they were waiting for the rush to subside before heading to their cars.

We gathered our belongings and started out of our row.
Before we got too far, the quick thinking Gaye Kyle asked the ladies in front of us (who weren't going anywhere) if that was the end of the show.

One of the ladies, looking shocked, said that there was an entire third act that we had yet to see! She mentioned that they would come out and bow before it would be over.

This caused us to sink back into our seats and explode into bouts of tear inducing laughter.

I literally could not breathe. Deanna was in tears as well and Gaye was lovingly laughing at us, not with us.

The lights dimmed and the third part began. We watched happily knowing that the magic of the story would not be over until they took a bow.

Which they did.
Four times.

I completely and utterly enjoyed my time with these special ladies!

Today it has been incredibly windy and so it was only fitting that Brennan wear his wind suit. lol.
In Tennessee Orange no doubt!
Go Vols! (and thanks Aunt Jody!)
 and please excuse the uncoordinating socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment