Tuesday, August 13, 2013

disdain.

Brennan slept alone in his room again last night. I figure that he probably sleeps better in there than he does in our room...but man...I miss him!

When we get him to sleep, we put him to bed in his room and then sometimes move him into our room before we go to bed. It was warmer in his room last night than it was in ours so I left him there. Around 6 this morning, I could hear him up so I gladly went to get him!

Today we went grocery shopping as a trial run for how he would feel for our tea/coffee date later in the afternoon. He did great there but was still coughing and sneezing. I'm taking him back to the doctor tomorrow so they can re-evaluate now that it's progressed a little bit.

I got home from the store and Jared's birthday present came by the courier. I put it in the living room intending to move it later. I knew I had to hurry and put the groceries away because we had to leave in a little bit. For some unknown reason, I decided that I MUST clean out and organize the pantry before I put anything away.

Here I am sitting in the kitchen floor with Brennan. As soon as I pull something out, he has it rolling around in the floor. Picture chaos. Fun chaos.

I looked at the time and we had to go! I couldn't be late and make a bad first (second actually) impression. I wasn't bothered by the mess I was leaving, because I figured I would have time to clean it up once I got back.

I snuggled Brennan in the stroller with our gift of chocolate chip caramel slice and took off down the street. We went to see our friend Morrie. I asked her how to spell her name and she said you spell it Marie but you pronounce it like Morrie. This was good considering the fact that I called her that.

She told me not to take Brennan out of the pushchair (stroller) because he looked comfy but to just bring it in. I asked if she was sure, but I did what she said. I had cleaned the wheels so it wasn't really that big of a deal but I typically leave it outside out of respect.

We sat and talked for a long time. She got out some old school toys for Brennan to play with. 
We are talking a wooden abacus here people!!! 
There were lots of cool stories that she had to share.

We talked about her husband and her daughters, travels and grandchildren.

About an hour into our visit, she got up to make some tea.

She set the table with the most beautiful embroidered tea cloth. I complimented it and she said that one of her bridesmaids had single stitch embroidered it for her in 1952. She set a feast of cookies and muffins before us and put our tea into perfect china cups with two matching plates. I felt very high class and so welcomed!

The door bell rang and it was her grandson, daughter and son-in-law.

I introduced myself.

Good feeling gone.

Her daughter eyed me up. I think she was certain that I was some sort of con and that I had rented Brennan for a few hours to make a good story.

She said 'Oh, so you must be the girl that walks up and down the street.'
I smiled sheepishly.
I thought it may be inappropriate to crack a streetwalker joke at that moment.

She looked into the living room and said, 'and that must be YOUR pushchair...inside.'

I explained that her mom didn't want me to leave it outside.
She explained to me that her son was leaving for England in a few hours and he needed to spend some time with his grandmother before he left.

As much as I tried to excuse myself and head home, Marie wouldn't have it.
An air of disdain for me, the stranger, was hanging in the air but Marie was quickly trying to wash it away with china cups and tea cakes.

We sat at the table and got to know each other. I even garnered a hint of a smile! Brennan's charms weren't even melting this lady though. I knew it was time for me to depart!

I excused myself with overflowing thanks for the time they shared with me. Marie made sure to walk us to the door and asked me to come back again soon. She was delighted to get to know us even better and looked forward to more visits.

I walked home thanking the Lord all the way. He just gave me THREE more people to get to know!
All I have to do is convince them that I am not a con artist. That should be easy, right? :)

When I got home...Jared's car was in the drive.
AH!!! Remember how I left the house? A SHAMBLE!
By the time I got in and got Brennan laid down for his nap, I realized that Jared had not only seen the disruption of the kitchen, he had discovered his birthday present in the middle of the living room as well!

The look on his face was priceless. When he got home:

he saw the kitchen + my car in the driveway+ Brennan and I were gone= someone must have broken in.

so naturally, he laid down to take a nap. haha.
He knew it wasn't a break in but couldn't believe the house looked like that.
If only he knew that the house looks like that EVERYDAY until about 45 minutes before he comes home.

I feel extremely blessed today and very, very thankful.
Brennan is camped out in his room for another night.
I moved him because I felt he would sleep better and he went right back to booty in the air position! Here's hoping that we all sleep well.
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment