Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tuesday with Morrie

Brennan didn't really sleep all that well last night. His heater didn't go as high as it should have and I think he got cold. (insert mom guilt here).

So around 4 a.m. he came to snuggle with me. Now, it may have been that I was curled around a sleeping baby or maybe it's just how it is, that I had a raging sinus headache this morning. After Jared went to work, I decided that Mr. BK and I were getting some more shut eye. He is pretty cool like that. Lay down with him and he is out. We woke up a bit later and I felt tons better.

Because of school holidays, we didn't have playgroup this morning. I decided that we were going to spend the day catching up on things and hanging out. I knew we had Bible study later tonight and that Grandma would be coming over for dinner, so the morning we spent chillaxing. (it's a word).

Brennan has gotten to where he looks for me now. If I am hiding behind the couch, he will crawl around the back to see if I am there. When he sees that I am...he squeals with glee! I enjoy this game a little too much I think because he tires of it before I do.

About two o'clock, I knew I needed to go for a walk on this sunshiny day to kick the last bit of achy sinuses. I also needed to mail a letter and grab some milk and bread. I bought some milk Saturday but we go through it quick apparently.

I got on my gear and strapped Brennan into his stroller and walked towards the grocery store. If you have been reading my blog since the beginning, you know that is about a 15 minute walk into town. On the way down Albert Street, there was a nice older woman pruning her roses. I passed by and said good afternoon. The look on her face was neat. She was glad I had spoken to her. It kind of made my day.

I kept walking and a while down the street the thought came to mind...I need to be friends with that woman. She seemed so nice and I prayed that she would still be outside on our walk home.

I didn't have long to fret about it because as I was coming up on the mailbox I was heading to, the Courier Post van pulled up. I was close enough to see him but not close enough to get there without running. I ran as far as I could, knowing that the next street corner had no pedestrian walk. I have a baby in a stroller and need to be able to think about which way traffic goes before I worry about a letter.

I ran to the corner and a bit down a side street where I could cross. I crossed carefully and as I turned the corner, the van was gone. Bummer.

I looked way up the street and saw it turning into a driveway. I could make it. So off I ran. I know I looked hilarious holding up my waving letter and saying, 'HEY!!! WAIT!!! I HAVE A LETTER!' I must have even more hilarious in his rear view mirror, because again, he was gone.

So much for that. Oh well, I got to the grocery store faster!

Sometimes people look at you funny when you are in exercise clothes with a stroller instead of a buggy (trolley). Especially when you are balancing milk and bread on the handle.

P.S. We drink lactose free milk. Ever since I moved here, the richness of the milk gives me bad stomach aches. Our milk is $3.10 a liter. That's right. to buy a gallon of lactose free milk...$11.71.
 what was that you were saying about $5.00 a gallon? :)

We checked out and began our walk home.

I started to think about how I could strike up a conversation with the lady I passed earlier. I didn't want to seem like a weirdo that walked up and said 'Let's be friends!' haha. I honestly just want her to go to Heaven and I figured by starting a small conversation, maybe we could build to a conversation about that in the future. If it seems weird to you, try it. 

Jared spent the weekend working in the garden. I figured I could complement her on her yard and how tidy it was and ask for some gardening advice. I also saw the garage was open and I could see and old Model T covered with a sheet. I figured if attempt one failed, we could move to conversation topic number dos. I was flying by the seat of my pants here. 
I mean...think of what could happen!
 
She could chase me away with her pruning shears and spit at me as I run away!
OR
She could be a lovely lady looking for someone nice to talk to, and what would that hurt?

As I walked to where she was, I could see the plants moving like someone was pushing them around. I was so excited that she was outside! I stopped and complemented her garden. Plan one worked.

She told me her name was Morrie.
She keeps her yard tidy by working a little bit every day and watching other people's gardens as she walks down to the river or to town.
Her and her husband loved this house the moment they saw it and the street noise isn't bad at all like she thought it would be.
The rubbish truck backed over her fence last week and she was quite excited because she needed a new fence!
Unfortunately, they broke the wrong part of the fence and took out the bricks instead.
She had spent the day waiting for them to come and fix it.
She thinks Brennan is quite the little lad and he flirted it up with her for good measure.

I asked her if we could come back and have tea or if she would like to have tea with us. I said I could bring some baked things and she said that would be lovely. She also says she eats way too many things to keep her girlish figure. I laughed and so did she. Simple...but now we are friends.

Today was a Tuesday with Morrie.
But since I have heard that is a terribly sad book...next time, I'll make it a Wednesday. :)

The rest of the evening was full of picking up Grandma and fixing dinner before heading to Bible study. The little man fell asleep on the way to take Grandma home so the husband and I had a 'drive around in the warm car and talk' date. I love him.

 playing with Grandma while I fixed dinner.

THIS is what worn out looks like.
I am going to have to pay for this picture in the future.

As we speak, Brennan is in his room snuggled up with a hot water bottle and and accurate heater. Here is to a full night's sleep for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment