Thursday, October 3, 2013

satsun

We took Saturday morning slow with a little bit of laundry and a long breakfast. Jared had been gone a while so Brennan and I decided to take a walk into town.
Jared had walked to his conference in the CBD the day before but forgot to mention the GARGANTUAN hill that you must go down to get to town. I seriously thought that if I wasn't careful, Brennan's stroller and I would be doomed. The worst part about going down a big hill is the thought of going back up to get home. More on that later.

Since the day we arrived, I had my eye on a place called FergBurger. The line was out the door all hours of the day and night. They are open 21 hours a day so that is saying something! While I was in town on Saturday morning I thought I might investigate this store. Yes, it was morning...but I thought that might be my only chance to ever get one.

I was out of luck as there was already a line and so I moved on to their new venture next door, FergBaker. It's a small pastry shop with lots of 'too sweet, must eat' goodness. I settled on their 'famous' Boston creme donut and shrouded my utter delight until I exited the premises.
 Now THAT is something to be famous for.

I took my breakfast down to the wharf and Brennan fell asleep along the way. I was looking for a certain spot to sit and eat and this was my view. Not bad.

 It was my luck that there happened to be a community market at the lake that day. There was lots of beautiful paintings, ceramics and jewelry. All of these were priced for tourists so it was nice to look but not buy.
 After Brennan woke up, we went to Underwater World!
Now in my head, I am picturing a vast aquarium full of indigenous fish and maybe even some ducks.
What we got was four windows along a wall where you had to pay to feed the fish so that you could see them. Not quite ideal. Even Brennan wasn't really impressed but I am sure he thought it was a little cool. What he thought is really all that matters anyway right?
Second nap in 3 hours...go for it dude.

 When it was time to walk back to the hotel, I followed my instinct and went through the Queenstown gardens. You get to the same place, but it is several small hills instead of one goliath one. I am a cheater when it comes to hard stuff. Don't the say to work smarter and not harder? I thought so.

When Jared's conference was over, we met him for fish and chips. These pieces of fish were as long as my forearm. I would post a picture but I fear that you may be getting bored with my food pictures.
oops.

Sunday, we took a drive to Glenorchy. I feel like this would be a name of one of the orks in the Lord of the Rings. 'Hi. My name is Glen. Glen Orchy.' Can't you see it?!
Here are some pictures from our road trip.



 We took a detour to a place called Paradise.
When we got to the River Jordan (not joking), it was flooded.

 But what do you do to get to Paradise? Cross the River Jordan in a rental car of course!

At last we made it to Paradise!




 Jared wanted to see the start of the Routeburn Track so off we went after leaving Paradise.

 It was really gorgeous on the drive to and from the Routeburn track.
 The grayish part of that mountain in the front was a giant slip (landslide)


 This is hard to see but I took it for my dad. That is an absolutely raging waterfall way up in the mountains. They were all over. They were really high up and I zoomed a lot on my camera to get this one!


I chose not to include pictures (nor did I take any) of the events that transpired on the way back from Glenorchy. I will put it like this...little man takes after his dad when it comes to car sickness. :(
unfortunately for us, this time it was 'in a rental car' sickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment