Friday, October 4, 2013

cucumber encumbrance


-->
Monday we had a few errands to run before we headed to the airport around noon. I had packed the night before but after weighing suitcases, I had to repack everything anyway. My carryon must have weighed 50 pounds and I was sad at that moment that it was a backpack.

During a final run through of the apartment, I checked the fridge and realized that we had left a whole cucumber, a ripe avocado, a container of butter and a pack of sandwich meat. Of course, being the waste not want not type, I shoved them any way I could into my backpack.

After our rental car place returned us to the airport, we checked our bags and sat down at the cafe to wait for our flight. I saw signs and heard announcements that your carryon would be weighed and if it exceeded 7kgs (14.4 pounds) that excess charges would apply. Seeing as how my arms were tingling from the weight I just knew it was over. There was nothing I could shift because we had already checked our luggage.

If you know my travel history, I am quite notorious for this. 9 lbs over on each bag coming back from America my first time. My carryon back from America that same trip ended up weighing 12 kgs. How? I have NO idea.

So here I am in the cafe trying to feed Brennan the last of the food we had bought. I snatched a plastic knife and started cutting up the avocado and feeding it to him with a spoon, I then moved on to the cucumber and just prayed that no one would ask me why I had a vat of butter melting in my bag!

Can you imagine the sight of a grown woman hacking away at vegetables with a plastic knife in the middle of the airport?! I should apologize to my children in advance for the embarrassment I will cause.

Our trip home was safe and uneventful. We even boarded through a gate that didn't make you weigh your bag. That means that all of my last minute veggie ditching was for naught.

Today has been a great day as well. I feel like we are getting back into the swing of things. We have a lock-in in Wellington tomorrow. That is our first big event with all of our youth group and we are pumped!!!

Two of the girls are staying with us tonight and came over earlier today.
We headed to the park up the road and to the dairy for a popsicle.
I sent them to the swings and then went to visit Ms. Marie (referred to as Morrie previously).
She lives across the road from the park.
She answered the door and looked quite excited to see me which was a good feeling.
She said that when she had her afternoon tea, she would sit and watch people walking by to see if any of those people were me and Brennan. Isn't that cool? We are going to visit her again next week (after she gets back from Phantom of the Opera) so please keep that possibility of a study in your prayers!
Goodnight!

This is a picture of Brennan playing on the infamous 'Buzzy Bee' at the airport when we landed. I forgot to include it earlier.

1 comment:

  1. I wish that there was a hidden camera videoing you shoveling those veggies into Brennan's mouth! I'm sure it was quite hilarious!! Glad y'all are home safe and sound!! Can't wait to hear about your lock-in!

    ReplyDelete