Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Giddy Up Pardner...

  Feels like I haven't had a second in the week that I have been in New Zealand to stop and give an update of what we have been doing. I have kept a journal of funny things and days events but until now it hasn't made its way to the internet.

I am actually typing this into a word document as we return from Foxton so that I can post it without using too much internet.

To say that we have been blessed beyond measure is quite an understatement. Everyone here has already gone out of their way to make sure that we are in a good position to start our work here.

I guess I can start with the trip over and give the funny things and highlights of our life so far down under.

We arrived at the airport in Nashville a little earlier than expected (Greg Donnelly's perfect timing). We hauled our bags into the ticket counter and they weighed perfectly for our southwest flight. Mom was concerned that there wouldn't be a way to get a picture of all four of us and woudldn't you know it, a friend from Freed happened to be in line behind us and took our picture. We spent about an hour in the arrivals Starbucks laughing and talking with mom and dad. When it came time to finally say goodbye, we hugged and went on our way. It wasn't that I wasn't sad, I was just ready. Mom and Dad taught me to love the Lord, in turn teaching me how to love Jared and I know that this is His plan for us.

We found our gate and sat for a moment to catch our breath. About 30 minutes later, I got tired of listening to the guy behind me talk about Chinese Astrology and its effects on dogs(no joke), so we went to Hudson News to look around and when we returned they were already boarding our flight. We got seats together after a nice stewardess (who was hopping on last second) said she couldn't stand to break up young love and gave up her seat. :) The flight to Houston was a bumpy one. They had torrential rains and tornado warnings in Houston and had actually closed. When we landing, many planes were trying to get into the area. The only problem I had with that is that many of them were blocking the gate that we had to get to in order to connect to our LA flight. While we waited on the tarmack, we decided to have some fun.


The crew told us that more than likely the outgoing planes would be delayed so we should be fine. Not so Joe.

As we departed from our plane, Jared heard them calling our names over the intercom as a last minute boarding call. We went to the nearest info desk where they were able to hold the plane for us as we ran through the terminal. Pretty sure that is the first time in my life I feel justified using the term 'willy nilly'. So much for our A group boarding passes. I placed myself in a middle seat towards the front next to a lady who loudly said 'I am glad you sat there! That man beside you is grumpy!'

As we landed in L.A. I spotted Randy's Donuts sign and thought of the movie 'My Girl', I tried to make every hill I saw say 'HOLLYWOOD' but I just didn't see it.

We hadn't eaten lunch at this point and it was 7 pm so we were delighted to get our bags and head to the NZ terminal. We loaded up our gargantuan bags (that must have grown since we checked them in Nashville) and scouted out the NZ check in. The checkin process was interesting within itself, but I refuse to give that ticket lady one more ounce of my life. :)

After going through security and the lady in front of me getting searched (whew), we finally sat down to pizza at Wolfgang Puck's and watched what was left of the SEC Championship game. By the time we were done there, we sat for about 30 minutes and then boarded the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment