Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Clotheslined.

I used to think of clothes lines much differently than I do now.

When people talked about hanging clothes on the line, I pictured long johns draped on lines hanging between two city apartment buildings. 
I thought people used that when they didn't like dryers or didn't have enough money to get one. I am the type that if I don't want to fold something, around in the dryer it goes again. Even better than that...I used to do laundry whenever I felt like it. There was no planning involved, no back up plan or anything of the sort.

Clothes got washed and clothes got dried. Nothing got ironed. Ever.

When I got to New Zealand, I was eager to test out this hang your clothes out idea. I wanted to see if they smelled like the sunshine. I didn't know sunshine had a smell...but I had heard rumors. :)


My first few experiences went rather well and to tell you the truth besides coming to the conclusion that everyone hangs their undies on the line...its worked out just fine.

The funniest of the experiences came when I put Jared's jeans in early in the afternoon and then went somewhere. By the time I got back, the sun was down. AH!!! Luckily, we have an inside drying rack but I was hoping and praying that they dried out overnight. Jared had to have them for work the next day. All night, (literally) I tossed and turned trying to figure out why I didn't take into account that I don't have a dryer! Why didn't I hang them out!?

So the next morning as Jared is getting ready for work, I go into the laundry room and his pants are...
almost dry. The pockets and the waistband are comparatively dripping. You know how that goes.

Apparently in a moment of genius, I decide to grab the blow dryer and go to town on these pants. I just knew that I was going to catch them on fire. I kept sticking the blow dryer in the pockets, praying and wishing that the waistband would eventually dry out. Even though it seems like it went on forever, 10 minutes later...Jared was wearing those jeans out the door. I apologized for my clotheline ineptness but all he said was 'it must be weird for you, but you are doing great.' Isn't he amazing?

Here he walks in to this American trying to be domestic and she has her hair dryer on full blast in the back pocket!! I must have been a sight to behold. By the way, the above picture is what I dreamed my clothesline would look like...and the following one is what it actually looks like.

I like mine better though. 
1) Because it is mine.
2) because it is in New Zealand.
3) It didn't kill me when I walked into it earlier today...hence the name of the post.

peace!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for pictures! You are a good wife and you found a wonderful man! I like your clothesline too! Growing up my grandmother didn't have a dryer for a while so I had to learn about that when I would stay with her during the summer. It's definitely something to get used and I don't think it would be an easy concept to grasp again after all of these years. You are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete