Saturday, December 24, 2011

we came, we unwrapped, we conquered :)

aaaahhhhhh...

that is the sound of my first breath as I come out of my food coma.

Technically, it is only Christmas Eve but for our immediate family, 'Christmas' has come and gone. As we dig out from the mounds of paper, we realize how immensely blessed we are.

We started the week with a packing frenzy. Tubs EVERYWHERE, counting and creating an inventory for enough books to end up rivaling the Library of Congress. We spent a few days mailing off some things, contacting shipping companies, realizing we now have two unexpected cars to sell and getting ready to spend time with family where we are temporarily helpless to get any NZ stuff done. We did have to take down the awesome floating Christmas tree that Jared made. This doesn't show how cool it is but its the best I've got.

MG and the sister in law rode up with Jared and I. A six hour trip full of shopping, torrential downpours, Finding Nemo and good conversations and we were in Crossville.

The night before we open our Christmas gifts, we do gag gifts. This is a tradition that dad started but this year has been the first official 'everyone exchanges gag gifts'. Now this does not always turn out well for all. Dad is known for wrapping owl pellets, armadillo and toad purses, etc. Needless to say this night is approached with mild trepidation. This year Jared got hillbilly fishing glasses and i got a redneck speaking teddy bear...trying to tell us something?

Jim and Kaley got us both some Jim Tam Slammers. This is a typical package of Tim Tams with a picture of Jim's Shaquille O'Neal Halloween costume pasted on the front. Nice one.

Friday morning, we woke up early to wait on MG to wake from her beauty sleep. An hour and a half later, she made her adorable entrance. Dad (Saba Santa) had stacked a John Deere wagon full of an Orange Crush Christmas tree. Watching MG was so much fun because she understands that her presents are for her to have and she loves it! We hauled it in big. Grammie J and Saba outdid themselves this year. J said this was his best Christmas ever. I think it may have something to do with this wagon riding little cutie.

Christmas Eve dinner at FuFu's with 2 grandparents, 2 uncles and 1 aunt, 11 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren that would scream every time one of them would turn out the lights. This was not even close to capacity. Following that, a movie night and playing with Jim's old Hot Wheels has become quite a tradition.

This morning, we all got to go to Christmas breakfast. Jim and Kaley never get to be there so it was a treat to share that with them. Musical chairs, old family Christmas videos (good thing Jared and I are already married. lol.) and lots of great food (including my Mema's fried pies.)

Jim and Kaley headed home to make Santa some chocwate chip tookies with MG. That is when the rest began! :) Mom and I chilled while the manly men went fishing.

I say all of this to get the point across that I am a very blessed woman. Family, food, getting things that I actually need for Christmas and the prospect of sales on Monday...who could ask for anything more?! The food onslaught is not over but I am tapping out. However, I will keep my word on introducing the Tim Tam Slam to the Donnelly family tomorrow. Super excited!

Tomorrow, I get to wake up and go with my family to worship my God. I don't celebrate Christmas as the day of Jesus' birth but let me tell you...celebrating Jesus in small ways every day is just as important as celebrating when the world makes it convenient!

Merry Christmas Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment