Thursday, December 15, 2011

under God.

I just realized today that for 18 years of my life, I have started the morning with the pledge of allegiance to our flag...

...of the United States of America

...and that New Zealand schools obviously wouldn't say the pledge of allegiance to our flag.


As a teacher, I have tried to emphasize the importance of being thankful for the country we live in. I ask my kids to stand and say the pledge. I talk with them about the sacrifices that our men and women have made that gives them the opportunity to have an education.

 When we stand to say the pledge, I put extra gusto on the 'under God' part. I know that He is the only reason that our country is blessed.

My students realized today that tomorrow morning will probably be the last time I get to pledge our flag in a school. They asked me if I was going to miss it.

I had considered this before and still found that the answer was YES.

What I hadn't considered was that the most important part of the pledge are the words 'under God' and that my citizenship lies somewhere else. I am a citizen of God's kingdom.

What a blessing to know that no matter where on this Earth I go, I am 'under God'.

I am under His protection.
I am under His guidance.
I am under His care.

And with this revelation, I am able to say a new pledge.


I pledge allegiance to my God who blessed me to be a citizen of His Kingdom. And to His Word which always stands, One Son who gave His life to give liberty and salvation to all.


Tomorrow, when I stand and put my hand to my heart, I will appreciate it more than ever. I will appreciate the fact that I live in a great country and that I am together in the same place with these children for a moment more. Above all of this, I will appreciate the chance I have been given to be 'under God' now and for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment