Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Power of Parenting

I did not have the privilege to meet and get to know Mr. Gene Hibbett.

Here is what I know about him.

He loved God.
He worked hard.
He loved his wife.
He loved family fiercely.
He was excited about Heaven.
He wanted others to be excited too.
He was not afraid to tell others how he felt about them.

You may ask how I know all of this as I just told you that we never even met.

That's an easy question to answer.

I know his children.

Lee and Lynne love God. They have devoted their lives to teaching others about Christ. In the classroom, on the mission field or simply by example, they have changed lives. I know firsthand the impact that Lee has had at Freed and the difference that Lynne Moore has had in the country of New Zealand.

Lee and Lynne work hard. There is never a time that I can think of when I have seen either of them not serving someone in some way.

Lee and Lynne love their spouses. Lee married Sarah and Lynne married Kevin and while at times I am sure it's been tough, love shines out of their beings when you speak of their spouse. They are proud to be married to godly people and they are thankful for the gift of marriage.

Lee and Lynne love family just as fiercely as Mr. Gene did. If there is any question about that...look at the Facebook posts, the tributes, the updates and the prayer requests. That speaks for itself.

One thing that has touched me the most through this whole journey the family has been going through is a remark Mr. Gene made when they were waiting to find out how bad Mrs. Jackie's cancer was. He said that if it was bad...they were going to talk a lot about Heaven. What a beautiful reaction to an ugly situation. I know that Lee and Lynne and their families are excited about Heaven and they want others to be excited too.

People knew how Mr. Gene felt about them. That is the only explanation for the tremendous and foundational impact that he made in the lives of so many. They knew he was compassionate, prayerful and wise. They knew that their success meant so much to him and that gave them the encouragement and drive to accomplish their dreams.

Lee, Sarah, Lynne and Kevin have been an incredible force in my life. They have laughed with me, cried with me, encouraged me, gotten excited with me and been there during times when I don't know what I would have done without them. They are raising their children in the Lord and passing on the characteristics of Christ to future generations.

As I prepare to become a first time parent in the next few weeks, I know that I have learned about the power of parenting from Mr. Gene. To be such a one that Christ flows into the lives of those you meet and that His reigning influence is seen in your children everyday...isn't that what we are all striving for as parents?

Thank you Mr. Gene for your life, for your kindness, and for your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment