Monday, March 5, 2012

em-ma

I think I am a magnet for people named Emma.

My sister in law is named Emma and yes, she is quite awesome. She is starting her law career in Brisbane, Australia; dresses like a super model and does Bikrim yoga in 115 degree rooms. She rocks.

I got to talk with her last night and that just compounded the thinking about another Emma that I have been doing.

Emma Featherston



I don't know why, but Mrs. Emma loved me. Mrs. Emma loved everybody. Everybody loved Mrs. Emma.

My earliest memory of her was going to her house to visit. She lived on a road I could never remember the name of, but I always knew that was Mrs. Emma's road.

Mrs. Emma liked for everyone to call her 'Em-ma'. It added pizazz...not that she needed any!

Mrs. Emma liked to sing. Hers was a very musical family in the first place and music and happiness seemed to follow her everywhere that she went.

Mrs. Emma made the best jalapeno cornbread...only she christened it with the name 'Hallelujah!' Cornbread. I desperately wish I had her recipe.

I grew up and went to college. I didn't get to see Em-ma a lot. I knew we were both growing older and my life quickly got so busy, so I never thought to take time to visit when I was home.

This summer, I went to visit Mrs. Emma in Crossville. She didn't live on 'Mrs. Emma's Road' anymore. She lived in a nursing home in the middle of town.

I had mentioned Mrs. Emma several times to Jared and I knew that he had to meet her. She was always trying to set me up with her grandson so I had to make sure she knew that I got a good one! She whole-heartedly approved and gave him some sage advice on how to treat a woman like me. lol. When we went to visit, we took our wedding invitation to her. She promised that if she was well enough she would be there. She asked me about letters that she had sent me when I went to Freed-Hardeman. She asked me if I remembered the verses that she wrote.

I tried very hard but could barely recall the letters even being received, having been so wrapped up in myself. It had been 5 years so maybe that would count for something.

I knew she had sent us an engagement card. In it, she apologized for her handwriting claiming that it was "strokey" but still as always concluded with the effervescent...'Love...Em-ma'

I felt that I would give anything to see those letters...to be able to recall the verses that she wrote to me of encouragement and wisdom.

She came to the wedding.
After the 'big kiss', Jared and I walked into our new life.
As a simple knee-jerk reaction, the moment I spotted Mrs. Emma by the door, I let go of Jared's hand, gave her a big hug and leaned down to kiss her cheek. I was so ecstatic to see her and I didn't know if she was going to get to come or not.
She hugged me tight and whispered...'you look beautiful!'

When she came through the receiving line, I leaned down and hugged her tightly. I was so honored that she had made the effort to be there. She handed us an envelope and told us not to open it until the next day. When we did, it was full of wisdom and loving words from her heart to ours.


That was the last time I got to see her.
Three days before we left to come to New Zealand, Mrs. Em-ma achieved her life long goal. She got to go home!! She got to join in with the magnificent singing and I guarantee you, her voice added to the glory.

But I have never felt the total mix of happiness and sadness so deeply at the same time.

I found a letter a few days after I got to New Zealand.

It was the one she had asked me about. The one she wrote me when I was at college. It was in my Bible.

We left the 9th of January 2012 and it was dated January 8th 2004.

It said:

Hi Rachel
You are a most special and strong Christian young lady. I admire you for your strong desire to do the things that are pleasing in His sight. God Bless You.
I love you.
Emma (alias Em-ma)
P.S. Good luck at Freed-Hardeman!

At the bottom of the letter were the verses she had mentioned.

Ecclesiastes 12:1
Psalm 146:5
Philippians 4:19

Look them up. They are pretty awesome. I didn't pay much attention to them when I received the letters in college, but don't you know...now that I am around the world, those words comfort me more than she ever would have thought. 

'Remember also your Creator in the days of thy youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near where you will say 'I have no delight in them'.
'How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God.' 
'And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Jesus Christ.'

Someone asked me recently who my greatest Christian influence has been. It seemed almost like an illogical question. I was born into a strong Christian family, blessed with strong Christian friends...everyone influenced me! But if I had to pick one...it was her.

She was always a quiet steady force reminding me that I could do it if I kept my faith in God and followed His desires for my life. Her constant encouragement means the world to me now. I see the pay off of kind words, even though they may be forgotten for a while, they will influence long after we go home to our reward.

Tell someone a few encouraging words and that God loves them. It would make Em-ma proud. :)

1 comment: